Monday, June 15, 2009

Sabelo Magic. Chapter II

The other day in maths, Fresh passed me a note. I know it's kind of cliche and lame but hey, he's black.


Now for those of you who cannot read his primitive handwriting allow me to decipher.

He asked me what time i was leaving school, i replied verbally and told him 3:20, the usual time. He then proceeded to write his response on paper. It's okay i understand. Being seen conversing with a tall, skinny white-boy would probably "cramp his style yo". His response to my verbal elucidation was "Na man I just wanna go for a durrie".


Durrie


A slang term for cigarette. Used mainly in Australia but sometimes New Zealand.
"Oi ranga!" "Yer mate?" "Passus a durrie would ya!"


Now obviously i was absolutely flabbergasted that this kid had already caught on to the majority of Australia's hip lingo slang in such a short period of time, even more so, that he had put the word "smoke" in brackets next to the abbreviation, as if trying to imply that I might not be aware of the term. But then i remembered he was a boarder, so living in the same building as a bunch of simplistic farmers probably contributed alot to his knowledge of the more, stereotypical side of our culture.

Magic then proceeded to cross out the word "smoke", a necessary precaution, being that if he was caught he would surely be sent back to Johannesburg and be whipped, tortured and fed to hungry seals or whatever the fuck they're native animal is over there.
In response to Kobe's remark, i informed him of the dangers of smoking and the serious risks it can have on your health. This made him laugh and tell me that I "can speak so much shit". I think he likes me.


"Friends are born, not made." - Henry Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment